When it’s a cold, wet day and I have little option than to spend my days indoors with an active toddler, I can sometimes find it difficult to entertain her and stop her from getting bored so usually in an afternoon we do some sort of craft or baking activity. These activities usually only last around 15-20mins before K looses interest so they have to be quick and simple
and easy to clean up *ahem*. One baking activity that I love to do with her is the simple cookie recipe. We have made these cookies endless times and they are great for toddlers as it is so simple. Plus you can theme them however you like. Given that valentines day is just around the corner, we decided to make some valentine heart shaped cookies.
For the cookies –
250g butter (softened)
320g sieved plain flour
125g sieved icing sugar
1 tablespoon of milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the toping –
15ml of warm water
a few drops of red food colouring
hundreds and thousand sprinkles
For the cookies:
Prep| 30 mins Cook| 12mins
- Preheat oven 170 degrees C/ gas mark 3
- Mix the butter in a bowl until creamed then add the remaining ingredients and mix until a dough is formed
- Knead dough until smooth then place on a surface and roll out to about 6mm thick
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out dough pieces and place on a lightly greased baking tray and cook for 12 minutes
- One cooked, remove the cookies from the oven and place on a cooling rack until hardened.
Do not try to ice the cookies until they have completely cooled down.
For the icing:
- Sift 125g of icing sugar in to a bowl. Gradually add 15mls (1Tbsp) of warm water until the icing becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Add a few drops of red food colouring to the icing and stir
- Cover the top of the cookies with the icing and add sprinkles as desired.
It’s safe to say that Daddy was very much over the moon when K presented him with her cookie and told him that he was her valentine!
What do you like to do to entertain your children? I love for you to give me some ideas!!!
Happy Valentines Day!