HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
2017 is upon us and it feels great doesn’t it!? I love the start of a new year. It’s a chance to have a fresh start, a new beginning and it makes me feel motivated. It’s also super exciting to see what the year ahead brings especially when there are no “big plans” happening. I’ve never been one to make big new years resolutions as you are destined to fail them a month after setting them so I prefer to set goals for the year ahead and look back at the end of that year and see if I achieved them. I wrote a blog post last January (here) about my 2016 goals and for the most part I hit them which I’m pretty pleased with. The only one that requires a bit (a lot) of work on my 2016 goal that I will be following through to 2017 is my blog I started off last year blogging regularly and documenting my life on my little space of this big wide web and everything was hunky dory then towards the back end of the year I got so incredibly busy and everything that I had to take on seemed far more important than sitting down and writing. I even had a few nudges from my husband reminding me that I’d not written in a while and that STILL didn’t make me any more motivated to do it. I am now going to make a goal for myself that I WILL make the time to sit and write, because ultimately I’m writing to remind myself when I’m old and senile what my lovely little life was like and what we did with our beautiful little children. I’ve decided to set a writing schedule where I publish on certain days to see if that helps. I will also start the year filling you all in about the big stuff that happened to us at the back end of the year (New York and turning 30 to mention a couple) so watch out for those.
My other goals for 2017 are:
To continue to capture and improve my photography skills. Something I think I’ll always be working on but it does take a while when you learn as you go like I have and I have noticed a huge difference in my photo quality from January 2016-December 2016. I’ve had some nifty little accessories for my camera for Christmas and my birthday so I’m excited to get using those.
To continue to work out and eat healthy. Self explanatory. I won’t tell you how much cheese/Nutella I’ve eaten this Christmas *ahem*
That’s it this year I think. Small and obtainable just how I like it.
What are your new year goals/resolutions? I’d love to hear from you!
So, I am a bit late with this post given that it is the 12th January. But better late than never, huh!?
I’m not one for new years resolutions or the whole “new year, new me” rubbish because if your anything like me those resolutions and “new me” vows last till around the 1st of February (or sooner, depending on how cold it is and how much Christmas chocolate is left in the house *ahem*).
But I had a long, hard think on January 1st about what I wanted to achieve this year and what I expected to happen come 31st December 2016. It’s a pretty average year for the FLAM household and by “average” I mean there is nothing MAJOR happening. Last year was such a big year for us as we moved house (eeek) and had our second baby (double eeek) within the space of 6mths. Yes, I was pregnant when we moved. Yes, it was super stressful. No, I absolutely wouldn’t do it again! (Its a good job we’ve moved in to our “forever” home, let me tell you!) So given that we have no life changing events about to happen for 2016, I decided to set out some goals which I would like to achieve by the end of the year to help me feel like I have been successful.
- Take more photographs – A pretty simple goal to start with but one that is probably the most important to me. I love taking photos of my family, friends and things I love so I want to make sure I continue to do this as often as possible. I also want to improve my photography skills so I feel taking more photos and practicing with my camera will help with this. I have also signed up to an online photography course (cheers Groupon!) which will help me understand my DSLR more. I am also going to try and link in with other bloggers who do photo specific linkies in order to push me into taking photographs. (Sometimes there’s always an excuse on why I didn’t take one).
- Become more organised – As a mummy of two little ones, a large house to run and general day to day tasks to complete my life is hectic! I am often running round like a headless chicken trying to complete tasks, run errands and entertain the kids. There has been numerous times of late which I can officially say I’ve “dropped the ball” on because I’m so busy. I feel my life would run a lot smoother if I was just that little bit more organised. Mornings are usually my most hectic times so having my bags packed the night before or clothes laid out for the next morning would help significantly.
- Become clutter free – this would probably also help with the above goal. I am going to try and get my home clutter free this year and hopefully have a place for everything to live. I’ve lost count (and hours) on how many times myself or my husband have been looking for something that has just “disappeared” mainly because it didn’t have a correct home in the first place.
- Get fit – *ahem* I think I say this every year but in my defense, two out of the last 3 years I have been pregnant so I think I can cut myself some slack. I’ve recently joined a gym (again) and plan to go at least twice a week in order to improve my general fitness. I’m not looking to lose a massive amount of weight, although I probably could stand to lose that stubborn baby weight. But hopefully, by getting fit, those stubborn pounds will melt away. I would also enjoy being able to walk up a flight of stairs without feeling like I’m going to have a heart attack!!
- Blog! by the end of the year I would like to look back over this blog and have documented some lovely memories. I am hoping I can build a good reader base although I am aware this takes time and patience. It would be good to have stuck with it for a year as I am usually a bit flakey and never quite see things through to the end. I love to write though and I want to look back over my posts and remember specific details about my family.
- Lastly, my final goal this year is to travel more. Now, this proves difficult with two young children. And I don’t mean travel to the other side of the world (although me and the hubby are going to NYC in November for my 30th Birthday. Whoop!) but just visit more places, and take more time out as a family (or solo) to go on weekends away. I aim to book in two “week long” holidays with my little family this year, just to different places within the UK. Also as just mentioned, me and my hubby are going to NYC this year and I aim to have a night away (or two) with my girlfriends. It’s good to have mummy time!
So that’s it for me. There is quite a few things to be going with. What are your new year goals? Feel free to share them with me in the comments box!